Saturday, June 06, 2009

Closing Night at the Detroit Symphony

I'm really kicking myself for making season closing night at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra my opening night at the DSO.  After living here for an entire orchestra season, I finally took advantage of the DSO's 37/11 program and picked up some $60 seats for $11.  Anybody younger than 37 can get tickets to most seats at select DSO concerts for only $11.  You just have to sign up first here.

If this is you, then you should be kicking yourself too if you haven't signed up for the program.  I don't care if you "don't like classical music," for $11 you could think the music was crap (which it won't be) and just enjoy the amazing orchestra hall, the bustle of people in Midtown and a nice night out in Detroit.

Detroit has a world-class symphony, and the audience took remarkable ownership of the symphony and the performance.  It really felt like the orchestra was playing to the audience and the audience was just soaking in the emotion from their home-town gem.  

On the way home, we drove through the Wayne State University campus and what looked like an kids' dance performance getting out...lots of 5 year old in purple tutus, face makeup and balloons. 

Parking is $5 at nearby lots or $7 in DSO lot

1 comment:

  1. I too have signed up for this program, but have never taken advantage of it. I know it is an AMAZING deal, especially with the quality the DSO consistently puts out. Thanks for reminding me, I'll have to make this a priority next season.

    ReplyDelete