Friday, September 29, 2006

Resident Tourist Heads East

This past weekend my husband and I attended two weddings on the East Coast- unfortunately, both were on the same day. We were forced to divide and conquer. He travelled to a wedding in Ithaca, NY and while I headed off to be the Matron of Honor in Arlington, Vermont by way of Boston.

As much as I groaned about travelling all the way into Vermont for a "destination wedding," the state took me by surprise. Driving along Route 2 from Boston my best friend and I encountered charming small towns and beautiful views around every turn. And who knew there were so many places to buy Vermont Maple Syrup? We could have even purchased it at the used auto parts store. Damn TSA restrictions...

Luckily for us, the trees along our route were starting to change color. As we reached the higher elevations we could look out over forests of red, orange and yellow. I certainly miss Fall in the Midwest!

The bride and groom chose the West Mountain Inn as the wedding location. Located on a hill surrounded by mountains, the Inn provided an ideal location for a fall wedding. The rooms were charming, the staff was incredibly helpful and the breakfasts were delicious!

I quickly learned Vermont is beautiful even in the rain. An all-day rain on Saturday prevented the wedding from being held in the Inn's garden, but the rustic, well-kept barn on the property provided an excellent alternative. Armed with a large umbrella, my friend and I spent time exploring the towns of Arlington and Manchester. Manchester is home to a large number of outlet stores-- all tastefully designed and situated throughout the town. The plan of fitting all my clothes in one suitcase soon went out the window!

Although my visit in Vermont was short, I look forward to returning sometime soon. Perhaps I'll bring my tent next time-- those Inns are expensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment