Monday, January 26, 2009

The hottest spot in Michigan


After complaining about the cold, we found the hottest spot in Michigan on Friday night: The North American International Auto Show at Cobo Hall in Detroit. Not only was it the place to be in Detroit, it was also really, really warm. 
Despite the intense heat in Cobo, we enjoyed wandering through the displays and experiencing the "Detroit-ness" of it all. Where else can you find a city so fully devoted to the automobile? And the best part was that the Ford, GM and Chrysler sections were the busiest areas. Too bad
 KIA didn't get the memo that they were coming to the auto show in Detroit  when they advertised that their car can go from San Francisco to LA on a single charge. 

We are not "car people", but the sheer number of cars was impressive. We sat in Mini Coopers, Audis, VWs, Saturns, Pontiacs, Jeeps and anything else that had doors that would open. I'll admit we often threw dirty looks at the little boys monopolizing the driver's seat! But once I was behind the wheel, I realized that it's impossible to resist ma
king the "vroom vroom" sound while pretending to steer and shift. 

And since we aren't "car people", we didn't feel too badly calling it a night and heading home once our feet began to hurt. Plus, we had already shed as many layers as was appropriate! 

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous. I usually get out that way, but did not for some reason this year. I guess I'll just have to go next year. I really wanted to see that Cadillac Converj, that looked incredible.

    ReplyDelete